Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cabbage Crunch



    Cabbage Crunch - a neutral side to a spicy meal


I went to Wholefoods the other day and got the cabbage crunch salad and devoured it as my


little Tikito watched from the back seat. Obviously I liked it and wanted more. So I found a similar recipe on Donna Gregory's page on The Recipe Circus website. What a fantastic side to a spicy meal! Of course I added hotness to it to make it that much better :)


Ingredients:
15 cups shredded green cabbage (we used 2 medium heads, cleaned and cored)
1 teaspoon black or white toasted sesame seeds (we like the black for contrast)
1 bunch (about 8) scallions, finely sliced including some green stems
¾ cup sliced almonds, divided

Honey Dressing:
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon Chili oil
Salt, to taste (I omitted the salt because i'm not a fan)


Recipe


To make salad: In a large mixing bowl, toss all ingredients together well. Refrigerate until ready to dress and serve.

To make dressing: Whisk together all ingredients until emulsified. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, whisk well and pour over salad; toss to coat. Makes 6 servings.

I had lots of leftovers so I poached a piece of chicken, shredded it, tossed it with just a tiny bit of Oriental dressing and mixed it in with the cabbage crunch for a yummy, healthy salad. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment